Bake Cups & You: Finding the Perfect Fit
Back in the day, small cakes and breads were made in individual cups, ramekins, pottery cups, or molds. Can you imagine the amount of dishes bakeries had?! Thankfully, today we now have bake cups, which not only make the lives of bakers and dessert chefs around the world rejoice, but they also can serve as decoration for the culinary creations, greatly reduce dish washing and clean-up time, and in some cases, can even advertise the business. But with so many options, how do you know which bake cup is the one"? Weve put together a quick guide for you below, which will aid you in choosing the right bake cup for your business purposes.
All of the bake cups available at Napkins.com are measured flat, or as those in the business call it, blank. This refers to the size of the cup when it is laid on a flat surface and measured side to side. We also include size information regarding the sidewall and base on each product page to aid you in choosing the right size baking cups for each job.
How Much Batter Can the Bake Cups Hold?
Were glad you asked! Here are the number of ounces each of our bake cup sizes will hold. Generally speaking, bake cups are only filled 1/2 to 2/3 full. This, of course, is just a guideline depending on how full or what affect the baker looking for when he or she is creating cupcakes or muffins. Weve also included what types of items each size range is useful for to give a better visual than just measurements. Unless otherwise noted, all of the bake cups at Napkins.com are fluted, made of light weight paper, and kosher certified.
- The small bake cups are white in color and are most suited for small candies such as truffles, hors dourves, and product samples at conventions. The small cups can also be used for creating sampler" boxes to sell in a storefront or to give as gifts to employees or preferred customers.
The medium size bake cups are an excellent choice for creating mini cupcakes and muffins. They can be used for such items as cornbread muffins for banquet dinners or for dessert items like mini cheesecakes. These can also be used in most mini muffin tins. They are also great to test new batter recipes without wasting large batches of ingredients to make larger cakes.
- 2.5" Bake Cup: Holds up to 3/8 ounces and is available in 2,000 count cases.
- 3" Bake Cup: Holds up to 3/4 ounces and is available in 2,000, 10,000, and 20,000 count cases.
- 3.25" Bake Cup: Holds up to 3 /4 ounces and is available in 10,000 and 20,000 count cases.
- 3.5" Bake Cup: Holds up to 1 ounce and is available in two sizes. The first has a base measurement of 1.5 inches with a sidewall of 1 inch and is available in 2,000 and 10,000 count cases. The second size has a base of 1.625 inches with a .937 inch sidewall and is available in 10,000 count cases.
The large and jumbo size bake cups are fantastic choices for candied apples, large, delectable muffins, or brilliantly decorated cupcakes. These too can be used in either regular sized muffin tins or jumbo sized tins. These are also wonderful choices for bakeries that create specialized personal cupcakes for birthdays or for the ever-popular first birthday cake smash.
- 4" Bake Cup: Holds up to 2 ounces and is available in two sizes. The first has a base measurement of 2 inches with a 1 inch sidewall and is available in 10,000 count cases. The second has a base measurement of 1.75 inches with a sidewall of 1.125 inches and is also available in 10,000 count cases.
- 4.5" Bake Cup: Holds up to 2 ounces and is available in two sizes. The first has a base measurement of 1.875 inches with a sidewall of 1.312 inches and is available in 10,000 count cases. The second has a base measurement of 2 inches with a sidewall of 1.25 inches and is available in both 2,000 and 10,000 count cases.
- 4.75" Bake Cup: Holds up to 2 ounces and is available in 10,000 count case quantities.
- 5" Bake Cup: Holds up to 2.25 ounces and is available in case quantities of 1,500 and 10,000.
- 5.5" Bake Cup: One of our more popular, this bake cup has three different size options:
- Holds up to 4.5 ounces and has a base of 2.25 inches with a 1.625 inch sidewall. They are available in case quantities of 1,500 and 10,000.
- Holds up to 5 ounces and has a base of 3 inches with a 1.25 inch sidewall. They are available in 10,000 count cases.
- Holds up to 3.5 ounces and has a base of 2 inches with a sidewall of 1.75 inches. They are available in 10,000 count cases.
Muffin Tins: Which Is Right?
- 6" Bake Cup: Holds up to 5 ounces and is available in case quantities of 1,000 and 10,000.
- 6.5" Bake Cup: Holds up to 8 ounces and is available in 5,000 count cases.
Now that weve shown you what sizes we have available, let's talk muffin tins. There are so many sizes and many different brands to choose from. These bake cups will work well if the base of the bake cup is slightly smaller than the base of the muffin tin. By ensuring this, there is less of a chance for the wrapper to wrinkle causing unsightly seams on sweet or savory concoctions.
Mini muffin tins can hold 2.125 ounces (or 2 tablespoons) of batter. If making mini muffins or cupcakes, picking a bake cup such as our 4 inch to 5 inch range will be perfect, depending on how much of the wrapper is wanted to show. A mini muffin or cupcake with a slightly higher wrapper lip will allow for the addition of a crumble on top without worrying about it spilling over.
Regular muffins tins can generally hold 3.5 to 4 ounces (or 1/2 cup) of batter. For a perfectly sized cupcake or muffin, any of our 5.5 inch bake cups should be chosen. Depending on the topping for the creation, a little more or a little less batter can be added. These can also be used for small candied apples.
Jumbo muffin tins can usually hold 8.1875 ounces (or 1 cup) of batter. If a large, over-sized cupcake or muffin is the goal, then our 6 inch or 6.5 inch bake cup should be the go to. These are also perfect for large candied apples, lining ramekins, or displaying several small creations such as cake pops.Make Them Pretty!
We know that not everyone likes the plain old white. While those are great for baking, sometimes the client will want a specific color, design, or a little bit fancy. Not to worry! In our bake cups
selection, we offer a large array of decorative muffin and cupcake wrappers that will satisfy every client's wants and all the business needs. In some cases, the white cups can be used for baking and then inserted into the decorative bake cup to create a prettier, and more appealing, presentation. We offer:
- Assorted Pastel Bake Cups
- Tulip Bake Cups, including a polka dot medley in pastel colors with white dots
- Lotus Bake Cups
- Striped Square Bake Cups in assorted colors
- Decorative: Polka Dot in various colors, geometric circles, flowers, and more!
- Loaf Pan Bake Cups with various designs
No matter the occasion, Napkins.com can help make the unique cupcake and muffin creations of your dreams come true!