Kids Birthday Party Planning Timeline
Everyone loves birthday celebrations and hostesses and party planners know that proper planning is the key to success at a wonderful event. Thinking ahead and writing down a simple timeline to follow will ease planning stress and keep the party organized and guests happy. This calendar is a guideline and a great checklist of things to do make adjustments where needed. Be sure to enlist help and get the birthday child involved, too.
6 To 8 Weeks Before The Party:
- Choose a party theme and get the birthday boy or girl's input, if possible.
- Pick a date and time of day for the celebration.
- Decide on a venue will the party be held at home or another location? Call and book a venue, if needed.
- Create a guest list and gather addresses, if necessary.
- Book entertainment or equipment.
- Enlist a family member or friend to help on that day.
4 To 5 Weeks Before The Party:
3 Weeks Before The Party:
- Fill out, address, and mail invitations.
- Order a birthday cake, if you are not making your own.
- Purchase items for any crafts, DIY projects, or activities.
- Collect prizes, treats, and favors for the party.
2 Weeks Before The Party:
- Use this week to finalize a menu and make a shopping list for foods.
- Create an itinerary for the day to keep activities moving. Have one extra activity planned for keeping kids busy so they dont get bored.
1 Week Before The Party:
- Check guest list and follow up with people who have not RSVPd.
- Purchase non'perishable foods, candies, and other items.
- Try out games if you have not played them.
- Make a sample of a craft project and prepare supplies.
- Confirm reservations for venues, orders for cake, or help from friends.
2-3 Days Before The Party:
- Start cleaning the house and putting away unnecessary, dangerous, or distracting items.
- Purchase perishable foods and begin baking or preparing items in advance.
- Put together favor bags for guests and fill pinata if there is one.
- Make sure camera and video recorders are charged or that you have extra batteries.
- Wrap birthday gifts.
1 Day Before The Party:
- Bake and decorate the birthday cake, if making it yourself.
- Prepare make-ahead appetizers and snack items.
- If ordering pizza, place order and arrange pick up or delivery.
- Check with entertainers or helpers, if necessary.
- Decorate a home party space or organize decorations for an away venue.
- Pick up any last-minute foods and cake, if needed.
- Pick up helium balloons tie one to the mailbox or birthday yard sign.
- Finish or check decorations and put on any finishing touches.
- Set up the food for the party.
- Make sure you have something to light the birthday candles.
- Have a notepad available to write down any gifts received.
- Set out cameras or video recorders.
- Make sure the birthday star is dressed and ready.
- Have the first activity set up and ready to go.
- Now it's time to have fun!
After the celebration, within the next week, help your child write thank-you notes to party guests. Think about including a photo of the party in the thank you card.